Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Mommy's Little Thief

It was a busy day of running around yesterday.  I grabbed my neice, Alexis, so I could run in and out of some stores to get items for the girls without them seeing.  We had a great ladies lunch, as Jordy likes to call it when just the girls go out for a meal. 

One of our stops was to Michaels.  We are creating a craft for the grandparents for the girls to give.  We got our stuff and went up to pay.  Jordy was really well behaved in the store.  I was complimenting her as we walked out to the car when I turned and saw her munching on something.  Here is the conversation that ensued:

Me:"Jordan, what are you eating?"
Jordan:"Chocolate."
Me: "Where did you get the chocolate?"
Jordan: "From the store.  They were sitting out and I wanted one."
Me: "Jordan, that's stealing.  Everything in a store has to be bought."
Jordan: "Oh, I'm sorry Mommy."

So now we're standing on a precipise.  What do I do?  Laugh it off as a one time event, hope that our little talk is enough to keep her from doing it again?  I decide this is a teachable moment and take it by the reigns.

Me: "You're going to have to go back inside with me and explain what you did and apologize.  Then you are going to pay for that candy with your allowance money."
Jordan: "Okay, Mommy"

To Jordan's credit, she did not put up any kind of a fuss and showed remorse immediately.  I could tell she didn't understand that those candies weren't free.  I think in her mind it was like getting the free cookie when you go to Publix.  Once she understood she was wrong she was willing to make it right.  We went back into the store.  I handed Jordan a dollar bill and we waited in line with her half-eaten candy and the wrapper in hand.  We approached the counter:

Me: I whispered the the cashier to please play along to which she nodded her assent. "My daughter needs to explain something to you."
Jordan: "Um, I'm sorry.  I took this and didn't pay for it."
Cashier: "I'm glad you came back to pay.  That was the right thing to do." 
Jordan: "I'm going to pay for it with my allowance."
Cashier: "Okay, sweetie."

We finished the transaction.  I had Jordan tell Josh what she did.  I want to make it clear that all of this was down with calm voices, and me talking at eye level with her.  I wasn't angry at all.  I simply wanted her to understand the gravity of stealing and that when you don't know you've done something wrong, you still have to make it right.

I'm very proud of her.  She did not break down, throw a tantrum, or get angry.  She simply accepted responsibility.  I guess I'm doing something right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment