Saturday, November 20, 2010

First Day of Thanksgiving Break

Being a teacher has some huge advantages as far as time off goes.  I get the next week off to be with my girls.  Today was day one.  My smallest daughter decided that 6 am would be a GREAT time for me to get up on my first day of vacation.  Luckily, her sister stayed in bed until 7:30.  After a light breakfast, they settled for show. 

They decided to play for a while in their playroom together.  I stayed in the living room listening in.  They played in the Little Tykes house for a while rocking their baby dolls and pretend cooking for each other.  I heard them dump the legos and begin to build a tower together.  Then I heard a slap and before I could get up to run damage control and institute a time out I heard this exchange:

"I'm sorry Emmy.  I shouldn't have hit you." Jordan says remorsefully.
"I'm soo-rry, Sissy." Emily replies. 
I then hear some slippy kisses and a couple I love yous.  I let it go.

I know it wont always be this way.  They sometimes fight and I know they will continue to get annoyed with each other.  What are sisters for?  But these glimmers of hope.  These queit moments of forgiveness and acceptace...well, they are priceless. 

I later told Jordan how proud I was that she realized she had made a bad choice and immediately apologized for it.  She shouldn't hit in the first place, but she is four and she's learning.  I forget sometimes that she is only four and somewhat a slave to her sence of self.

No comments:

Post a Comment