Saturday, November 6, 2010

Cultural Excursion

The family and I headed out today since St. Petersburg Parks were having their centennial celebration, Party in the Parks.  My mother-in-law sent me an email all about the functions going on this weekend.  Josh and I decided to check out S.P.I.F.F. (St. Petersburg International Folk Festival).  We both have very fond memories of attending this when we were kids.  We ordered Jordan a world atlas for kids and are hoping to plant an interest in traveling since we plan to do a lot of it with the girls.

I think it's important to foster a curiosity and acceptance of cultures that are different from our own.  We want to experience other cultures and we want that for our children.  We told Jordan that SPIFFs was a festival celebrating all the countries all over the world.  There were dances, traditional dress, singing, drumming, and FOOD! 

Jordan really loved going into each booth and seeing all the artifacts from all the countries.  In Poland, she fell in love with the dolls.  In Korea, she enjoyed a fan display.  In Thailand, the orchid and bamboo displays.  We watched the tradition Ukranian dancing by kids only a little older than herself and Native American dances.  She asked a lot of questions at the Native American teepee.  Their jewelry was beautiful and Jordan was amazed that they were make from polished deer bones. 

Emily enjoyed all the different foods since she was confined to the stroller.  She ate Chinese donuts and dumplings.  She sampled Jamaican Jerk Chicken and LOVED the Veitmenese Port Kabobs.  She even like the Serbian cheese pie.  We all enjoyed Germany's apple pancakes.  Josh and I fell in love with Fiji's pork red curry with rice and chutney.  Holy Cow!  that was some tasty stuff. 

I think we'll make SPIFFs a tradition.  Admission was free and the food was extremely reasonable!  We have a great few ours out for around $30.  I highly recommend it to all families!  I wish there was a way to take my students.  I remember going when I was in middle school.  We had passports to stamp at each country we visited.  There was a scavenger hunt as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment