Thursday, September 29, 2011

Two-Step Thursday

I never thought I'd be into dance.  I never had dance lessons as a child.  There wasn't time or money for that in a single-parent home.  I'm a bit of a klutz anyway so... it never really occurred to me to enroll my daughter into dance classes.


My wonderful mother-in-law danced her whole life and enrolled Jordan when she was three.  I wasn't sure at first that I wanted her to do it but she seemed to love it.  She saw all the trophies in the waiting area and wanted one for herself so badly that it kept her motivated throughout the year.  She also loves wearing the tights, leotards, and shoes.  She enjoys being with her fellow dancers.

Two dance seasons later and I believe dance is one of the great things we have ever tried.  Not only does Jordan get some great exercise but she also socializes with girls her own age and gets to express herself in a positive way.  She isn't the most graceful dancer in her class but she loves it and is having fun so we'll let her keep it up as long as she loves it.

Although its hard to imagine how this:

http://andredanisphoto.com/ballet-poses-for-pictures 








Can become this:
I wont lie.  I don't know that I believe Jordan will become a "proper ballerina" (her words) as she seems to want to these days.  But I will be happy if she is able to do something she enjoys. 

I LOVE seeing her dance at the recitals and getting her all dressed up.  It's worth all the stress across those few days to see how excited she is afterwards.  How proud of herself she is.  Dance provides a place for self-expression, building self-confidence, and opportunity to become fit. 

I'm still learning what it means to be a "dance mom" but I'm enjoying it.  I'm actually really looking forward to next season when we enroll Emily in her first dance class.

To close this one out I will add this song:

No comments:

Post a Comment