Monday, July 21, 2014

Capri Update

Capri is becoming much more comfortable in our home.  She is still have some stomach issues but I hope that the de-wormer and new puppy food will help her.  She is very sweet with both of my daughters and loves to curl up with Jordy for an evening snuggle once she has eaten and had a nice long walk.  She ran to me and sat on my belly to give me very timid kisses when I arrived home today. 

Concerns:
1) Territorial with food and toys and affection. 
Last night, Capri was standing in my lap while I was scratching her back.  Zoe approached us and Capri snarled and snapped at her.  I'm not sure why she did this.  There were no food or toys involved.

I had to return to work today so my husband, Josh, and 5 year old, Emily, were home with the dogs today.  He reported that he was playing with a tug rope with Zoe, our sheltie, and Capri snatched it away.  She did it twice.  On the third try, Zoe let her know that was not cool.  They snarled at one another but she submitted to Zoe. 

They eat separately and out of different dishes.  I'm not sure how to work with a dog who is territorial and protective about their food.  Is there a way to correct this behavior? 

2) Too smart for her own good.  Capri figured out how to open Zoe's food container and the garbage can lid.  We moved the container and turned the garbage can around so the latch is against the wall.  Easy fixes.  She also opened a kitchen cabinet and tried to use boxes in the cabinet to get up to the counter.  I couldn't believe it.  We have had to be very vigilant about food.  On the plus side, my daughters are finally consistently cleaning up after themselves and eating only at our kitchen table.  We do have to keep all the chairs pushed in or Capri climbs on top of the table.

Positives:
1) Walking on Leash.  Capri enjoys being outdoors a lot.  I think she must have some kind of hound in her (beagle?) because she is extremely sniffy.  She constantly has her nose to the ground.  We are working on staying close on the leash and 'heel'.  She is very motivated by kibble but still jumps for it.  We started with very short walks in our front and backyard.  Every walk has been a little farther and a little longer.  Tonight we were able to go to the end of the street and back.  We even did a little jog.  I've noticed that when she is bored or under walked she starts to look around the house for things to get into. 

2) Potty training.  Capri is doing great with this!  She has already started going to either the front or back door and either scratching or jumping at it.  She almost immediately goes potty after doing this. We are sure to take her out immediately after any longer stays in the crate (over night or if we all run out to the store for a bit). 

3) Crate Training.  She doesn't LOVE her crate but I think she recognizes it as a safe place.  We do feed her in there so that she doesn't feel like she has to protect it from Zoe.  

All in all, I think she is doing great.  I am certainly surprised at myself.  I thought Josh would be the one taking the lead on everything but he has deferred to me as I have been reading about fostering, common health issues with fosters, etc, etc.  I never would have thought this was something I would do or love doing.  I never had dogs growing up.  In fact, I didn't have a dog until I moved in with Josh and his Aussie, Dingo.

No comments:

Post a Comment