Sunday, July 20, 2014

A foray into doggy fostering

Do not, under any circumstances, make promises to your children unless you are 100% sure you will see it through.  Beyond the inevitable tantrum that will ensue when you break the promise, you have made a chip in the trust your child has with you.  I'm guilty.  We all are.  Promises are a binding contract with your child that you will see something through.  It could be a trip to the park, a toy, a new book. 

In my case, it's a dog.  My oldest daughter, Jordan, has been asking for a dog since she was 5.  At the time, I was taking courses for my masters degree, Emily was still in diapers, and we knew Josh wouldn't have a job much longer.  It was definitely the wrong time to add a fur baby to our family.  So we told her when she's 8 AND can prove she can handle the responsibility of a dog.  She jumped for joy.  I swear if the kid could accurately use a calendar she would have developed a count down.  She constantly asked how many years, how many months until she turned eight. 

The first year, she didn't bring it up as often.  The fateful day was far away and we were all busy with life.  The second year, she started to really notice different breeds of dogs at the park. After she did a community service project at school to help abandoned animals, she informed us she wanted to rescue a dog from a shelter.  But her 8th birthday was still a year and a half off. 

About 2 months after she turned seven, Jordan began to really discuss wanting a puppy versus a juvenile or adult dog.  We spent time discussing the demands of a puppy, and a senior or adult dog.  We discussed sizes of dog.  We started adding more responsibilities to Jordan's chores.  Picking up toys, maintain her room, feeding Zoe, our sheltie, taking her out in the backyard.  Walking with her on leash with an adult. 

Jordan will turn 8 October 4th this year.  She has proven to us that she is ready.  I'm not delusional.  I know that Josh and I will still be the ones, at first, to establish routines and care.  Although we met several dogs at local shelters that were sweet and got along with the kids and Zoe...most had health issues we weren't prepared to take on.  Jordan said, "I want to put the dog's needs before my own.  These dogs need to find a home that can care for them just right." 

This summer, several of my friends started to help out at a local rescue and fostering dogs.  Their experiences were so heart warming.  Their children loved on the dogs, learned about their care, and got to be part of the help the dog learn to be a family pet.  It seemed really rewarding. 

Our family discussed the pros and the cons.  The kids were part of the decision.  I worried that we would bring in a foster and they wouldn't be able to let go when the time came.  The girls decided they wanted to try it anyway.  We chose a dog that was coming in on a transport from Alabama.  Jordan said, "I know she might not stay forever Mom.  I like knowing I saved a dog.  Either we will be the right home or we will find her the right home."  I am constantly amazed at this kid's generous heart.

Capri is 20lbs soaking wet.  They say she is 4 months and a border collie mix but I am skeptical.  So far she doesn't behave like any of the herding dogs I've had.  But she is still adjusting to a new place.  I've never owned a beagle but sometimes she looks a bit like a hound to me.  And it might explain her longer body and freckled nose.

Here she is meeting Zoe for the first time.  After this initial greeting they have pretty much ignored each other.  She is a very nervous and timid dog.  She rolls over to show her belly for everyone.  She is very attached to Jordan and I.  I think because we were the ones to pick her up from the transport.  She is very nervous around Josh.  She belly crawls towards him but she does go to him and sat with him for a long time last night.  However, she shows her belly almost the whole time.
 
It seems like she was probably in an outdoor kennel.  She really loves being outdoors.  She stalls when we try to come back into the house and cowers like she thinks she shouldn't come in.  She has had loose stools since eating our kibble and vomited a bully stick.  I'm going to give the food another day or so to see if she adjusts to it.  I have no idea what she was eating before we got her. 
 
She seems to really love being around the kids.  She growled at Emily twice but I think Emily might have squeezed her too hard while hugging.  She growled at Zoe twice. Capri had a chewy and Zoe went over to see what was going on.  I have been isolating them for meals.  She was afraid of the vacuum machine when I needed to do some cleaning so I put her in her crate while I finished up.  She likes her crate a lot and is responding very well to crate and potty training. 
 
She had two accidents in the house.  The first was stool and I think her meal just went right through her.  The second was pee but the girls took her out of the crate while I was in another room.  They didn't take her right outside like we had been doing all day.  It was a good lesson for the girls.  Jordy had to clean up the mess and we discussed why a routine is so important.
 
So we have learned a lot.  I am showing Jordy the proper way to dispose of her poo when we walk.  She doesn't want to do that part but I told her its part of the having the dog.  You have to be willing to do the not so fun stuff.  Today we are going to give her a bath because she still smells from the transport.  We also need to get her a chewy and see what other toys she might like.  She doesn't seem to like any of Zoe's.  Zoe didn't seem to mind sharing and they didn't growl at each other over sharing toys or the two doggy beds we have in the living room.  I do sense a little bit of jealousy for attention but no aggression.  They walk beautifully on leash together. 

Time will tell.  I'm hoping she comes out of her shell with some consistent TLC and a routine.  I have to got back to work on Monday.  She will be home with Josh and Emily all day since Jordy has summer school.  Fingers crossed!  This wasn't an easy promise to keep.  Although we promised to adopt a dog when she turns 8, this is teaching us all so much about generosity, caring for the less fortunate, and the power of love. 

13 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I rescued Capri here in Anniston, Alabama on June 15th. I found her wandering near a local hospital within the city limits. She is a sweet girl! I love her dainty little face!
    Capri had probably been abandoned. I contacted FARR and asked if the rescue would take her. I wanted her to have a second chance to find a safe and loving home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Capri made the trip to Florida along with Empress, Eden, and Tip.
    I fostered all 4 of the puppies.

    I fostered Capri for 5 weeks. Empress and Eden were fostered for 6 weeks.
    I fostered Tip for 2.5 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks for letting me know. She is doing great and getting used to our home and family. What were you feeding her? We have her on Simply Nature Puppy food because she seemed sensitive to my dog's Purina weight control food. I got to see Empress, Eden, and Tip at the transfer. They were so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had been feeding her Pedigree. I originally was feeding her Purina Puppy Chow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Capri is such a sweet girl and very submissive! I rescued her because I didn't want her to wander into the high traffic 2 lane located near the hospital where I found her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you and your family so much for fostering Capri!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your welcome. Follow the blog to keep up with her if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you notice the fur that is shaded a lighter color than the rest of her black coat over both of her shoulders? It looks like she has little wings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sent you a friend request on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How is Capri? I hope that she is adjusting to her new environment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just confirmed your request. Yes, I had noticed her funny shading on her shoulders. They do look like wings. It's funny how much grey is mixed in with her coat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is an informative post and it is very beneficial and knowledgeable. Therefore, I would like to thank you for the endeavors that you have made in writing this article. All the content is absolutely well-researched. Thanks... thedoggycrates.com

    ReplyDelete