Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Focus

Usually, in the summer months, I am guilty of losing my focus.  Last summer, I worked hard not to and I lost 20lbs.  It felt great.  I felt empowered.  Who knew I had self-control and will power when it came to food?  I also kicked butt in my UF coursework.

Over the school year, I know I am a workaholic.  I love my job.  I loved school when I was a child.  I felt like I was good at going to school.  I enjoyed being around my classmates (the competition, the relationships), I LOVED my teachers.  They were heroes to me in my eyes.  I felt an acceptance there.  I felt seen and heard.  Maybe that's part of th reason I became a teacher.  I love the atmosphere at schools where I am seen and heard, and valued as a contributing member of that community.  My school is like that for me.  At any rate, during the year, I am extremely focused on my curriculum, instrustruction, and my students.  But not really myself.

So summer is here.  I am enrolled in three classes (Teacher Leadership, Designing Techonology Rich Curricula, and SmartBoard training).  I did not take a job this summer so that I could focus.  I really started focusing on my health three months ago, as Josh has turned his lifestyle around.  I've lost 9lbs since then.  I am currently the weight I was on my wedding day!  That feels incredible.  When is crazy is that because of the weight and strength training I have been doing...I love better that I did on my wedding day!  I have about 13lbs left to go and I'm not in a hurry.

How am I doing it?  Focus.  I focus in on my calories and making sure I have a deficit each day.  I zigzag my calories. Monday I try to get in 1600 and on Tuesday 1300.  I have 3 solid meals and a couple of healthy snacks through the day.  I always make sure I have some kind of fruit right after I exercise.  My favorites are a banana or watermelon. 

In the past three months I excersized 5 days a week, alternating between long cardio days and weight/strength training.  Now that I have all day, I plan to go to the gym 6 days a week.  I will go for an hour each morning to do my cardio.  And I will go in the afternoons to do my weight/strength training.  There are a few classes that I'm addicted to so I switch up the scedule a little.  I do a power scult class on Monday evenings and Zumba on Friday evenings.  I tried the kickboxing class and I will probably return to that one this week but it definitly kicked my butt!

I feel great.  I have more energy.  Which I think will translate to my classes.  I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment