Monday, October 4, 2010

Happy Fourth Birthday Jordan Danielle

Four years ago today, I met someone who changed my life forever.  I know when I got pregnant for the first time that my bond with this unknown being would be special.  Not only because it would be my first child, but because I wanted her with every breath, every cell, every hope and dream.  And somehow I knew she would be a girl.  We half heartedly picked a back up boy name but I knew we wouldn't need it.

The day before I went in to get checked for the final time (Oct. 2, 2006), I was swimming and trying to reach my best friend on the phone, who was out of town.  I left a message not to worry, she wouldn't miss anything because I was feeling no contractions and thought I'd be another week.  Boy was I wrong. 

 I went into to get checked the next morning (Oct. 3, 2006) and I was 4, almost 5 cm dialated.  My midwife told me she could send me over to the hospital immediately to break my water so we could have the baby.  I just looked at her..."I can't!  I have too much to do today!"  LOL!!!!  She said the next day would be just as good.  I like to say that October 3rd is Jordan's almost birthday.

Josh came home from work early and I stopped by my mom's work on my way home.  A phone call to tell your mother you are going to have your first baby...well, it just didn't feel like it would communicate my excitement and fear.  Josh and I spent our evening getting ready for the coming days.  We took Zoe to the breeders for boarding.  We stopped at the store to stock up on paper products so no one would have to do dishes.  We did a couple loads of laundry and cuddled while watching movies.  I even got a nap in.

The next morning (Oct. 4, 2006), we got checked in a Morton Plant and by 8:30 am, Donna, my midwife, had broken my water and we were under way.  Nothing...and I mean NOTHING!...could ever prepare me for how painful labor was.  Jordan was sunnyside up which caused incredible back labor.  But as painful as each contraction was, I was terrified of the epidural. 

I remember begging for relief when I hit transition. Minute long contractions that were 30 seconds apart.  They gave me a shot of stadol to help me rest between contractions.  It slowed things down long enough for me to focus on pushing.  

At 4:20pm, I helped delivery Jordan Danielle Parker into this world.  I remember the first think I thought was, "Oh! It's Josh!"  Jordan was her father's spitting image from moment one...except for her nose which is straight off my own face.  After we knew she was perfect and healthy, I was able to realize what I was feeling.  There is a euphoria connected to giving birth.  I felt like I could do anything...accomplish to most difficult feats.  Although this feeling comes and goes...I often try to recapture it at my weakest moments.  

Jordan is amazing.  She is inquisitive, creative, sensitive.  I truly cannot wait to see who she becomes.  Any hope or dream I may have for her will pale with what she will actually accomplish.  

This morning, October 4, 2010, I woke up my oldest daughter by stroking my hand along her heart shaped face.  She slowly opened her eyes.  "Jordan, today...you are four.  Starting right now." She smiled the biggest of smiles up at my and put her hand on my cheek, "Really Mommy?  Really I'm four?"  It has come so fast and has been an amazing ride.   I can't wait to see what happens next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment